Re: [Hampshire] using SSH to allow VNC from the SSH server t…

Top Page
Author: Chris Smith
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] using SSH to allow VNC from the SSH server to the initiators machine

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x580d0100.hantslug.org.uk.9452': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Sep 4 08:28:02 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 11BEF6408586B4B2
Alan Bell wrote:

> The remote user is running Ubuntu so can go to their remote desktop
> preferences and turn on their VNC server, that is fine, but I can't see
> their computer at all, certainly not on port 5900. I know SSH can tunnel
> stuff, but I am not quite sure how to set up the routes or ports to get
> back along the tunnel to the initiator from the server end.
> Has anyone done this sort of thing? Or has a better solution?

ssh -R5900:localhost:5900 user@yourmachine

When executed from the remote user's machine should do exactly what you
want. You should then be able to start a VNC connection to port 5900 on
your machine, which will then be forwarded over the ssh connection.

Chris
--
Chris Smith <cjs94@???>