[Hampshire] using SSH to allow VNC from the SSH server to th…

Author: Alan Bell
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: [Hampshire] using SSH to allow VNC from the SSH server to the initiators machine
The basic scenario is remote assistance for users. I want them to be
able to initiate an SSH connection to my machine, then I want to use VNC
to share their desktop. The layout from user to me is shown below:

Remote user who is confused and befuddled, but has a VNC server on port 5900
->
ADSL NAT firewall, no inbound ports open, dynamic/unknown IP address
->
Internet
->
Firewall with SSH port open, static IP address and DNS entry
->
Me

The remote user is running Ubuntu so can go to their remote desktop
preferences and turn on their VNC server, that is fine, but I can't see
their computer at all, certainly not on port 5900. I know SSH can tunnel
stuff, but I am not quite sure how to set up the routes or ports to get
back along the tunnel to the initiator from the server end.
Has anyone done this sort of thing? Or has a better solution?

thanks,

Alan.

--
Alan Bell
The Open Learning Centre

Web: www.theopenlearningcentre.com
Mob: +44 (0)7736 778908
Tel: +44 (0)8444 3576000

The Open Learning Centre is a trading name of Bell Lord Ltd,
a company registered in England and Wales #05868943.
VAT Registration #GB 901 4715 55