Re: [Hampshire] using SSH to allow VNC from the SSH server t…

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] using SSH to allow VNC from the SSH server to theinitiators machine
On Wed, Sep 03, 2008 at 10:10:59PM +0100, Alan Bell wrote:
> The basic scenario is remote assistance for users. I want them to be
> able to initiate an SSH connection to my machine, then I want to use VNC
> to share their desktop. The layout from user to me is shown below:

Take a look at gitso. It is a frontend to ssh/vnc.

The person giving support opens up one port on their router to their box,
then starts gitso and clicks "Give support, start".

The person wating support opens gitso, clicks 'Get Help' and specifies the
IP of the supporter then clicks "Start".

The supporter then gets to see the desktop of the person who needs help.
It's all done with reverse ssh tunneling and vnc.

http://code.google.com/p/gitso/

It's cross platform too, so you can support a Windows user from Ubuntu and
vice versa.

Cheers,
Al.