Re: [Hampshire] [OT, but still FLOSS] importing into Thunde…

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT, but still FLOSS] importing into Thunderbird from Windows Mail
Lisi wrote:
> 1) How do I import settings and data into Thunderbird from Windows Mail? Or
> basically, can't I?
>
> I have found <http://nic-nac-project.de/~kaosmos/mboximport-en.html>, but a)
> this appears only to import eml files and b) I can't find Windows Mail's
> directories anyway, tho' I have looked hard.
>
> 2) So where on the system does Windows Mail keep it's directories anyway?
>
> I have downloaded Thunderbird 2.0.0.16 (I have previously tried with 2.0.0.14)
> in the hope that this will just import from Windows Mail during installation.
> But an exploration of Mozilla's website leads me to believe that that is
> sadly not the case. :-(
>
> TIA
> Lisi

Hello Lisi

Windows Mail keeps its files in

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\

which is usually

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail\

The cunning part is that either AppData is a hidden folder, so you will
have to use the Folders control panel to make hidden things visible first.

Once you've found the files, this page:

    http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_and_exporting_your_mail

says the rest is easy.

cheers