Re: [Hampshire] Mobile broadband dongle things

Author: John Cooper
To: isaacclose, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Mobile broadband dongle things
Isaac Close wrote:
> hallo folks,
>
> Quick question, anyone have experience with those usb mobile broadband thingys ?
>
> I've heard of someone using a vodafone doobrey on a linux laptop with instant joy, could this really be true ? All info appreciated.
>
> tar
>
> Isaac,

The E220 on three works perfectly, especially with kppp. gnome-ppp also works fine too. You can just use wvdial after creating /etc/wvdial.conf

[Dialer Defaults]
Phone = *99***1#
Username = three
Password = password
Stupid Mode = 1
Dial Command = ATDT
Modem = /dev/ttyUSB0
Baud = 460800
Init2 = ATZ
Init3 = ATE0V1&D2&C1S0=0+IFC=2,2
ISDN = 0
Modem Type = Analog Modem
Init5 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","three.co.uk";

Then just run wvdial as root e.g.

sudo wvdial

You should see the flashing green light go solid blue and the DNS
settings appear on the console output. I copied the two DNS server IPs
and added them to /etc/resolv.conf

nameserver XX.XX.XX.XX
nameserver XX.XX.XX.YY

John.

Discover Linux - Open Source Solutions to Business and Schools
http://discoverlinux.co.uk