Re: [Hampshire] Another Hello

Author: Becky Taylor
To: Hampshire LUG
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Another Hello
On 2008-10-07 21:02, Philip Stubbs wrote:

> Becky and Greg, I don't know why, but I have a bit of a fascination
> into peoples motives for using Linux. Therefore, would either of you
> be interested in explaining how you first became aware of Linux, and
> then also what about it made you want to use over the alternatives?

Hi Philip,

I first found out about linux when my boyfriend introduced it to me
about a year ago (give or take a couple of months). Since then I will
admit I haven't been experimenting much with distros - I tried Mandriva
and didn't like it, and then I went to Mint. I have briefly tried
Ubuntu, but I am hooked by Mint.

I love using Linux a) because it's free, and b) because it is so much
better than anything else I have ever tried OS-wise (by that I mean
windows - I have never tried a Mac OS).
I love the way that my OS feels so clean, shiny and new (if you know
what I mean), the way I can edit the menus and the background, the way
it has so much stuff to download (e.g. G.I.M.P. , Planet-Penguin-Racer,
OpenOffice.org, etc.).
I especially love Linux Mint because it is newbie-friendly, and because
it is so mouldable. I love the special effects you can use (e.g. wobbly
windows, drawing fire on screen, etc.), and the way that something can
be suggested in the forums on linuxmint(dot)com, and be in the next
beta, or stable release. I also love completely re-vamping my laptop
every 6 months to install a new release (slightly sad, but true ;-) )

Overall, I just love the way that linux is so....well that there is
something for everyone, I guess.

I keep telling myself I should try debian or fedora, but I never seem to
get round to it.

I love the fact that Roadrunner te supercomputer runs on Fedora! :-D

Becky