Re: [Hampshire] Music software Recommendations

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Music software Recommendations

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x568d9100.hantslug.org.uk.32571': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Oct 8 22:26:09 2008 BST
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 09:05:35PM +0100, Rob Malpass wrote:
> Just mucking about really I thought I might turn my hand to some
> music - haven't done so since way back on the Amiga more years ago
> than I care to remember. The tool of choice then was something
> called protracker - anybody know what I should be searching for
> nowadays? Not knowing the search term is proving an obstacle.

> The sort of thing I'm after is an x channel (it was 4 but I'm sure
> more are possible thesedays) digital recorder where you start with
> your drums, get them to loop, add your base, cymbols, hihat etc etc.

> Should I' be searching for a tracker, a sequencer?? Anybody used a
> good one on Linux? FWIW I only have onboard sound but I don't
> suppose that'll matter much.

You've got Audacity, which allows you to edit recordings (MP3s,
WAVs -- basically samples). Then there's Rosegarden, which is a
sequencer -- that gives you a way to put the samples together at
different pitches for different times (i.e. equivalent to Protracker,
only far more flexible).

If you're into Western musical notation (i.e. music typesetting),
there's at least MusixTeX, Lilypond, and NtEd. The first two have
text-based input languages, and require a processor to turn that into
the typeset page. The latter is WYSIWYG, and is still under heavy
development, but appears to be stable. There are several other
projects for music typesetting, including Rosegarden, but they
are either desperately unstable or close to vapourware.

Hugo.

    --- Questions are a burden, and answers a prison for oneself. ---