Re: [Hampshire] Music software Recommendations

Author: Paul Stimpson
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] Absolute Music (Was Music software Recommendations]
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Music software Recommendations
Mike Dwerryhouse wrote:
> Rob Malpass wrote:
>
>> FWIW I only have onboard sound but I don't suppose that'll matter much.
>>

> On-board sound is OK to start with. If you find you want a pro sound
> card, the most popular
> linux compatible musicians (as opposed to gamers for example) sound card
> is the M-Audio
> Audiophile 2496. I bought one when I found the noise levels on the
> on-board sound audible
> over the quiet bits.

I have a Tapco LinkUSB audio interface/mic preamp (which is made by
Mackie) and that's quite good. I got it from Absolute Music in Poole.
They're selling them for £69 (RRP £199) I think because Mackie have
overstocked. They also have the Tapco Link MIDI on sale if you're
looking for one - Check for compatibility before purchase as I haven't
tried one. They were happy to let me take my laptop in and try the gear
out on Linux but it's worth calling the day before and telling them
you're coming and what you'd like to test as they don't keep everything
in the shop but they're happy to bring it over from their warehouse for
testing.

http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/
http://www.tapcoworld.com/products/linkusb/index.html
http://www.tapcoworld.com/products/linkmidi/index.html