Re: [Hampshire] Music software Recommendations

Author: Mike Dwerryhouse
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Music software Recommendations
Rob Malpass wrote:
> Should I' be searching for a tracker, a sequencer?? Anybody used a
> good one on Linux?

You can get trackers on Linux (and other platforms) - renoise,
CheeseTracker, SoundTracker)
although I haven't tried any. You probably want a sequencer. The
standard for Linux is
Rosegarden. You'll find it in all music distros and probably in the
repositories for others.
There are other sequencers - LMMS, MusE, for example. There is a linux
version of the
commercial sequencer EnergyXT2, and the Windows shareware sequencer
Reaper is reported
to work well with Wine. I have used Rosegarden a little, and had a lot
of fun.
> FWIW I only have onboard sound but I don't suppose that'll matter much.

On-board sound is OK to start with. If you find you want a pro sound
card, the most popular
linux compatible musicians (as opposed to gamers for example) sound card
is the M-Audio
Audiophile 2496. I bought one when I found the noise levels on the
on-board sound audible
over the quiet bits.

You will also need a low latency kernel. All music distros come with
one, but a standard
desktop distro may need one installed.