Re: [Hampshire] Suggestions for replacement motherboard

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Suggestions for replacement motherboard
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 17:21:14 +0000
"Paul Stimpson" <paul@???> wrote:

> Motherboard integrated graphics generally give distinctly second rate
> performance. Do you have any PCI cards you need to bring across? If
> not I would give serious thought to a PCIexpress mobo. You'll be able
> to get a PCIexpress graphics card then which will outperform AGP.

Bear in mind I only have a need for 2D graphics and that I _never_ play
games so almost any built in card is going to be good enough but
something optimised for 2D would be ideal.

I do have a twin output Matrox AGP card it would be nice to use now
that I have a spare 14" flat screen monitor (or will have when I buy my
wife a wide screen 19" one - she needs the screen 'real estate' as she
runs windows and doesn't have the benefit of being able to run each app
in a separate workspace as I do with windowmaker)

> How many watts is your PSU? You may find it's not got enough grunt
> for a new mobo and a nice graphics card. TBH if I'd just had a board
> do one or more capacitors I would be tempted to replace the PSU just
> in case it was contributory factor. What does everyone else think?

it is a Allied model AL-500BTX, 500W, ATX 12V for Pentium4 PSU and is
quite quiet.

> If you get a board with motherboard attached USB you should be able
> to connect you existing case sockets with either no trouble or a
> little cable adjustment.

Just a matter of find the usb headers on the m/b I guess.

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop