Re: [Hampshire] Suggestions for replacement motherboard

Author: David Rozzell
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Suggestions for replacement motherboard
On Monday 20 October 2008, john lewis wrote:
> Thanks David for the pointer to that m/b.
>
> I ordered it plus a 550W power supply, a sata diskdrive & DVD writer
> plus ATI Radeon HD3450 graphics card. I set up all the hardware in my
> existing Maxdata case and found it booted without any errors.
>
> Having previously downloaded the debian etch net-installer iso and
> burned it to cd I was then able to install etch and upgrade it to sid
> without any problems. Xorg & wmaker just worked without any effort on
> my part.
>
> Now all I have to do is copy across any personal data from the old
> hardrive via USB stick and it looks like I now have for the first time
> ever a fairly modern system :-)

No problem, I'm glad it was of help & glad you got it all up and running
without a hitch :)

I know what you mean about having a fairly modern system, this was the
first 'new' bit of kit I've had for about 14 years, makes a change to have a
box that's not built from several discarded machines ;)

David
--
FLOSS - Not just for your teeth - Free Linux Open Source Software