Re: [Hampshire] Swap versus RAM size (was: I just have to te…

Author: Alan Pope
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Swap versus RAM size (was: I just have to tell someone...)
2008/10/26 Adrian Bridgett <adrian@???>:
> Worst I've seen is a SAP instance where they required "3 times
> physical memory or 256MB - whichever is larger". The box had 24GB
> memory (which was then increased to 32GB). The fact they even thought
> SAP would run on 64MB RAM shows how ancient the instructions where.

For some time now on 64-bit platforms the recommendation has been "at
least 20G of swap" no matter how much RAM you have. If you have ever
studied the SAP memory management system you can see why. The general
argument goes that 20G of swap is considerably cheaper than having
your multi-million pound business down for half a day whilst an admin
(or expensive external consultant) debugs a memory issue.

Cheers,
Al.