Re: [Hampshire] Carphone Warehouse

Author: Phillip Chandler
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Carphone Warehouse

> I wonder if there is a factor whereby everyone thinks they can support
> Windows (Carphone Warehouse staff included), but most of these people
> are pretty clueless when it comes to Linux. You can just see the
> confused customer going back to the point of sale for advice nd the
> staff either bullshitting for all they are worth (I have experienced
> this first hand when purchasing a netbook), or simply running for cover
> or playing the "I only know about Windows!" card?

Im pretty sure its also down to the fact that if your running Linux,
then you must know what your doing.

Linux is still very much considered a technical O/S, and users are
considered to be more technically minded than average users. Im sure
that most windows users wouldnt know how to trouble shoot. They expect
it to work out of the box.

I dare you to take a PC or Laptop to a corner shop (or even PC world),
say your running Linux, ask for help, and get someone who is a Linux
guru. I'll put £1 bet on whether you get a knowledgerable person.