Re: [Hampshire] Clarkconnect Gateway 4.3 & Horde webmail

Author: James Ashburner
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Clarkconnect Gateway 4.3 & Horde webmail
Phillip Chandler wrote:
> Hi Everyone.
>

> What Im really stumped on is setting up the ntl smtp, so I can send
> emails from horde webmail. Would anyone know how to do this ? Ive
> googled and it looks like I have to use a terminal to open the file, in
> something like vi.

I've not upgraded to 4.3 yet, but assuming it's the same as 4.2 this is
a very simple setting in the web console. Go to SMTP mail under Software
and enter smtp.ntlworld.com in the Outbound Relay Hosts field. That's
all there is to it.

Your CC box will send mail without doing this but you'll run into
problems with spam detection as many servers bounce mail from public IPs.

> Im guessing that once setup right. Id write an email as normal, send to
> my clarkconnect / horde box, which will send on the email itself. So
> rather than send the email direct myself to smtp.ntlworld.com Id send it
> to something like smtp.clarkconnect.lan, and would pull emails from
> pop.clarkconnect.com rather than pop.ntlworld.com. Or would I use imap ?

Personally, I'd use IMAP, otherwise you may as well just use the NTL
servers.

James