Re: [Hampshire] Clarkconnect Gateway 4.3 & Horde webmail

Author: Phillip Chandler
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Clarkconnect Gateway 4.3 & Horde webmail
On Thu, 2008-11-06 at 20:02 +0000, James Ashburner wrote:
> Phillip Chandler wrote:
> > Hi Everyone.
> >

> > What Im really stumped on is setting up the ntl smtp, so I can send
> > emails from horde webmail. Would anyone know how to do this ? Ive
> > googled and it looks like I have to use a terminal to open the file, in
> > something like vi.
>
> I've not upgraded to 4.3 yet, but assuming it's the same as 4.2 this is
> a very simple setting in the web console. Go to SMTP mail under Software
> and enter smtp.ntlworld.com in the Outbound Relay Hosts field. That's
> all there is to it.

Oh James ..... Your the man !!!!!
hahahahahahahaha

Id looked at a few howto's, and they were WAY over my head. It now
works. I feel like a dork. Something so simple can be the root of my
problem.

But "Thank you" for that. Im chuffed now Im a step closer.

> Your CC box will send mail without doing this but you'll run into
> problems with spam detection as many servers bounce mail from public IPs.
>
> > Im guessing that once setup right. Id write an email as normal, send to
> > my clarkconnect / horde box, which will send on the email itself. So
> > rather than send the email direct myself to smtp.ntlworld.com Id send it
> > to something like smtp.clarkconnect.lan, and would pull emails from
> > pop.clarkconnect.com rather than pop.ntlworld.com. Or would I use imap ?
>
> Personally, I'd use IMAP, otherwise you may as well just use the NTL
> servers.

Im probably trying to setup the same sort of thing as a few of you guys.
Ive got my own home LAN, where my partner and her mom use the
connection, wirelessly.
So Im looking at having *That* little extra security / spam filter /
anti virus / shared folders etc setup on my box. Ive also setup the
printer so they can all use it.

I dont trust my 73 yr old mother-in-law in the sense that she doesnt
know about what not to download etc. Ive tried to educate her in that
there are great / safe web sites out there, but there are also non safe
sites, and that clicking here, there and everywhere, and signing up for
this, that and the other, isnt always a good idea.

But this is great practice for me.