Re: [Hampshire] Mini-ITX

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Mini-ITX
Something that no one has mentioned yet:

a company I was involved with deployed a number of mini-ITX systems
(512MB, 500 MHz IIRC) for use as communication gateways - running Red
Hat 7/8/9 (long time ago) - the problem we found with running them
24/7 was that they all started throwing disk errors. I concluded that
the small format 2.5" disk drives did not like continuous operation. I
don't know if they have got better since then, but at the time there
was a definite "small disk =>laptop => not 24 hour" implication.