Re: [Hampshire] Long Life Netbook style device

Author: trotter
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Long Life Netbook style device
At 00:35 15/11/2008, you wrote:
>On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 12:18:01AM +0000, Philip Stubbs wrote:
> > With the recent proliferation of netbooks, it seems strange to me that
> > they seem to have such a short life on batteries. For something that
> > is designed to be used on the move, I would want it to work all day.
> >
> > In fact, my wife has a very good use for such a device, but it would
> > only be really useful if it had at least a six hour life. All my wife
> > wants to do is take notes. However changing batteries multiple times,
> > is really not ideal.
> >
> > Does anybody know of a netbook style device that can operate for this
> > sort of time? It only really needs a to be just big enough to have a
> > reasonable size keyboard to make it useful.
>
>    For about 4 years, I've had a normal laptop (ASUS M3000 -- 14"
>screen) with a secondary battery in the CD drive bay. When it was new,
>it did 7.5 hours with both batteries in. Even now, 4 years on, it'll
>do 4 hours, more if the screen brightness is cranked down.

>    Come to think of it, my dirty great 15" widescreen Dell managed up
>to 6.5 hours with a secondary battery in it. With a third battery (a
>main one), I could do a full day's work at a conference -- 10 hours or
>so.

>    In my opinion, the solution is to get a machine with a swappable
>drive bay and a spare battery to go in it. If you can stand to get one
>of the large extended-life batteries that sticks out of the main
>battery bay, do that, too.

do you have a favourite supplier of laptop batteries?

There are a fair amount on ebay for my ibm thinkpad x30 however the
ones recommended on the thinkpad yahoo groups list are on american
ebay. Official battery are a stupid price something like £100 while they
are £30 on ebay in the uk.

thanks for your time

Martin N