Re: [Hampshire] Long Life Netbook style device

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Long Life Netbook style device

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56d07100.hantslug.org.uk.17131': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Nov 15 21:32:33 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sat, Nov 15, 2008 at 09:26:02PM +0000, trotter wrote:
> At 00:35 15/11/2008, you wrote:
> >    For about 4 years, I've had a normal laptop (ASUS M3000 -- 14"
> >screen) with a secondary battery in the CD drive bay. When it was new,
> >it did 7.5 hours with both batteries in. Even now, 4 years on, it'll
> >do 4 hours, more if the screen brightness is cranked down.

> >    Come to think of it, my dirty great 15" widescreen Dell managed up
> >to 6.5 hours with a secondary battery in it. With a third battery (a
> >main one), I could do a full day's work at a conference -- 10 hours or
> >so.

> >    In my opinion, the solution is to get a machine with a swappable
> >drive bay and a spare battery to go in it. If you can stand to get one
> >of the large extended-life batteries that sticks out of the main
> >battery bay, do that, too.

> do you have a favourite supplier of laptop batteries?
>
> There are a fair amount on ebay for my ibm thinkpad x30 however the
> ones recommended on the thinkpad yahoo groups list are on american
> ebay. Official battery are a stupid price something like £100 while they
> are £30 on ebay in the uk.

I had the official batteries with the above two machines. I didn't
buy either of them, but I'd do the same if I was spending my own
money for a truly mobile machine.

Hugo.

   --- Hail and greetings.  We are a flat-pack invasion force from ---
                     Planet Ikea. We come in pieces.