Re: [Hampshire] Digital Cameras

Author: Stephen Davies
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Digital Cameras
A few (probably final) points
I quoted a 6.1MP Camera. I used a Nikon D70 ( the 6.1MP Camera) with the
105mm Macro Lens to photograph a book of 18th Century Army Uniforms that
is in the Prince consorts Library, Aldershot. This is the only copy of
this book in existance and thus I had to :-
1) Handle the document carefully
2) Not use flash.

Add to this the fact that the room I was allowed to use was pretty dim,
most of the exposures were 1/2 to 1 Second at F8.
To do this required a Tripod and a Remote shutter release.
Not many compact cameras have cable/remote shutter releases and even at
the lowere end of the DSLR Market they seem to be going the way of the DoDo.
Add the long exposures to the mix and pretty well all the compact
cameras fall short. The only ones as far as I know that can do this sort
of thing are the compacts that 'pretend' to be a DSLR

As for a 6.1MP DSLR being to expensive, you have not (AFAIR) quoted your
budget budget but approx £200.00 should get you a good condition second
hand one.

Lastly,
Don't even think about using anything but OPTICAL Zoom. With digital,
going from 1x to 2x zoom gives you a 4x reduction in quality (Invers
square law)

Stephen D