Re: [Hampshire] Digital Cameras

Author: Andrew Rogers
To: stephen.davies, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Digital Cameras
On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 11:34 PM, Stephen Davies <
stephen.davies@???> wrote:

> A few (probably final) points
> I quoted a 6.1MP Camera. I used a Nikon D70 ( the 6.1MP Camera) with the
> 105mm Macro Lens to photograph a book of 18th Century Army Uniforms that
> is in the Prince consorts Library, Aldershot. This is the only copy of
> this book in existance and thus I had to :-
> 1) Handle the document carefully
> 2) Not use flash.
>
> Add to this the fact that the room I was allowed to use was pretty dim,
> most of the exposures were 1/2 to 1 Second at F8.
> To do this required a Tripod and a Remote shutter release.
> Not many compact cameras have cable/remote shutter releases and even at
> the lowere end of the DSLR Market they seem to be going the way of the
> DoDo.
> Add the long exposures to the mix and pretty well all the compact
> cameras fall short. The only ones as far as I know that can do this sort
> of thing are the compacts that 'pretend' to be a DSLR
>
> As for a 6.1MP DSLR being to expensive, you have not (AFAIR) quoted your
> budget budget but approx £200.00 should get you a good condition second
> hand one.
>
> Lastly,
> Don't even think about using anything but OPTICAL Zoom. With digital,
> going from 1x to 2x zoom gives you a 4x reduction in quality (Invers
> square law)
>
> Stephen D
>

> I too brought a Nikon D70 body second hand from a friend that is a semi-pro

photographer. Coupled with a 28-80 F3.5 Nikon lens I brought on e-bay we
are very happy with the results, far superior to the Fuji S5000 it
replaced. The D70 also comes with a wireless remote control and every
function I can think of that almost any SLR has and amazing battery life.

Andy Rogers