Re: [Hampshire] Digital Cameras

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: stephen.davies, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Digital Cameras
Stephen Davies wrote:
> A few (probably final) points
> I quoted a 6.1MP Camera. I used a Nikon D70 ( the 6.1MP Camera) with the
> 105mm Macro Lens to photograph a book of 18th Century Army Uniforms that
> is in the Prince consorts Library, Aldershot. This is the only copy of
> this book in existance and thus I had to :-
> 1) Handle the document carefully
> 2) Not use flash.
>
> Add to this the fact that the room I was allowed to use was pretty dim,
> most of the exposures were 1/2 to 1 Second at F8.
> To do this required a Tripod and a Remote shutter release.
> Not many compact cameras have cable/remote shutter releases and even at
> the lowere end of the DSLR Market they seem to be going the way of the DoDo.
> Add the long exposures to the mix and pretty well all the compact
> cameras fall short. The only ones as far as I know that can do this sort
> of thing are the compacts that 'pretend' to be a DSLR
>
> As for a 6.1MP DSLR being to expensive, you have not (AFAIR) quoted your
> budget budget but approx £200.00 should get you a good condition second
> hand one.

Canon G9 - new for £254 (inc. delivery and VAT) on Amazon, no doubt to
make way for the new G10.

*http://tinyurl.com/6bn8pt*

Tripod mount, hot shoe and built in flash, brilliant screen, great
optics and good macro. Not sure about cable release but definitely got a
timer release and probably got an IR-type remote that will do a better
job than cable release.

It has the charm and handling of an old-school quality rangefinder
camera. I borrowed one and fell in love with it on account of the
handling and flexibility that give you a sensible compromise between the
feature set of a SLR and the convenience of a compact. To further extend
functionality there are some terrific Canon accessories too.

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa