[Hampshire] Belkin shame

Author: Paul Stimpson
Subject: [Hampshire] Belkin shame
Hi,

Sorry for the cross post but I just wanted to give you all a heads-up about the poor service I just received from Belkin.

I'm having terrible wireless issues now with none of the distros I have tried being able to connect to either of the Belkin F5D7632-4 access points in the office using WPA-PSK. The same distros all connect to my 3Com AP using the same encryption.

I went to the Belkin web site to check the APs have the latest firmware in case that was an issue. The installed firmware is v2.01. The site says the latest download for that software version is v1.10. This confused me a little so I called to check that I'd correctly identified the identified the hardware.

I was put through to an offshore call centre (first black mark) and having gone through the stupid script questions about who my isp is (even though it isn't an internet connectivity issue) I was told that the firmware I have is fine but there should be no problem if I install the other one. I was then told they don't support Linux and that I "can call Linux and they will help me." My attempt to explain that's not how it works and that the only APs I have trouble with are theirs got me told "we are not sure about linux but if you call linux and they will help you" again.

That router is the last piece of kit they're selling in here. Shame, I used to think they were a decent company.

Cheers,
Paul.