Re: [Hampshire] Which Netbook?

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Which Netbook?
> Hi all,
>
> I am considering getting a netbook for my wife for Christmas. She is
> actually quite keen to learn Linux. We were recently in a shop with
> the Asus Eee PC 901 on display and though it was running WinXP I
> suggested she have a look. My main worry was that she wouldn't like
> the smaller keyboard or display, but she really liked it a lot in the
> short time we had a play (the constant attentions of the sales guy
> eventually drove us away).

I've been looking into netbooks, not that I have any chance of buying one
soon, but for me there are 3 reasons for getting a netbook when compared
with a normal laptop:

1) Price
2) Weight / portability (when combined with a low price)
3) Battery life.

If I was going to carry a laptop around, I don't want to have to
continually plug it into the mains, it needs to be light but have a
reasonable size screen, and I don't want it to cost a fortune (less
worries about replacement if broken / stolen).

For me there is only one worth getting - Eee PC 901. With the mobile Atom
processor and huge 6,600 mAh battery means that you can get around 8 hours
battery life! (although not with wifi on etc., but even then it most
reports suggest at least 4 hours even fairly heavy usage).

The 1000 models are physically too large for me and too expensive, and all
the other netbooks don't get good enough battery life.

Of course it depends on what you want it for, but for me the 901 has got
it just right. But then I don't own one so it might be worth waiting for
replys from people that actually own a netbook ;)