Re: [Hampshire] TomTom satnav and Linux

Author: jack
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] TomTom satnav and Linux
On Tuesday 02 December 2008 14:14:58 Lisi wrote:
> I am thinking of getting my husband one of these (1) for Christmas and
> would welcome all comments, both as to whether it would play nicely with
> Linux (I gather that it runs on Linux, but that is clearly not the same
> thing), and as to how good it is.
>
> Would this (2) however be better, in spite of not having the rest of
> western Europe?
>
> Thanks!
> Lisi
>
> 1.
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-ONE-V3-Satellite-Navigation/dp/B001EYTVTM/re
>f=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=12282266 2.
> http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-ONE-v3-Great-Britain/dp/B0018NPL5M/?tag=sati
>sfactiong125-21&gclid=CMGLjoeMopcCFRoSFQodr06pJA

i have a v4 with western europe. i bought it a few months ago... an amazon
bundle with a travel pack. at the time it wasn't very much extra to add
europe and it's quite a bit extra to add europe later...so what the hell.

i don't know what the differences are between 3 and 4, but i am very pleased
with the 4.

as somebody has already said, the tomtom just appears as a disk when you
connect it to linux.

i have XP running in virtualbox and i've managed to get the usb connection to
work (a pain... but i eventually found a short article that explained what to
do.)

jack