Re: [Hampshire] TomTom satnav and Linux

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] TomTom satnav and Linux

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008 14:14:58 +0000, Lisi <hantslug@???> wrote:
> I am thinking of getting my husband one of these (1) for Christmas and
> would
> welcome all comments, both as to whether it would play nicely with Linux
> (I
> gather that it runs on Linux, but that is clearly not the same thing),

and
> as
> to how good it is.

It depends on what you mean by "play nicely". There is a Windows
application bundled with Tom Toms which is used for installing new maps,
addons or applying system upgrades. I have applied a map and OS upgrade
once in the three years, for which I did have to resort to a Windows PC,
WINE not supporting USB and VMWare not wanting to pass through the USB bus
properly.

My Tom Tom is a GO 300 from three years ago, but I believe the fundamentals
are still the same. They automount as a mass storage device under Linux so
my backup process is just to copy the contents of the device to a safe
place. The rest of the management takes place through the touch screen on
the device itself. Even setting up the traffic service was completed
through the touch screen.

As for the devices myself, well I like mine. It's a little bulky by today's
standards but it works well and has never crashed on me.

HTH,

Tony