Re: [Hampshire] I am a person not a PC...

Author: Alan Bell
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] I am a person not a PC...

Alan Pope wrote:
<snip rambling>
> We should be looking at ways of promoting what we have, our advantages
> over the competition, our strengths, not kick off knee-jerk copy-cat
> reactionary marketing. The public see through that very quickly. Take
> the appalling Novel "I'm Linux" adverts as a prime example of how
> _not_ to do it.

as luck would have it we are working on a marketing campaign right now,
it is far too early to share it with anyone, but I will anyway (just
don't blog it yet). Basically what we are saying is that there is loads
of great Free software out there, but it is a secret - don't tell Bill.
Kind of like the "don't tell Sid" thing that was used when Thatcher sold
our gas. We can use this theme to talk about all sorts of Free software
and of course the services that are available to help people take
advantage of it. Here http://www.theopenlearningcentre.com/Postcards.pdf
is some sample artwork for postcards we could send to small businesses
(but I think we prefer the full colour version) let me know what you
think. Obviously the stuff we do will have an Open Learning Centre theme
to it, but there is no reason why anyone else couldn't do their own
"don't tell Bill" marketing.

> I appear to be rambling now, so I'll stop :)

no, that was the best bit!