Re: [Hampshire] whois : wtf?

Top Page
Author: Simon Huggins
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] whois : wtf?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56dd1100.hantslug.org.uk.3209': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Wed Dec 24 11:09:34 2008 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 310765FBDF5CE2B4
On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 08:07:03PM +0000, Hugo Mills wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 07:45:41PM +0000, Stephen Davies wrote:
> > But what concerned me was the verbage that accompanied the output and
> > the fact that my request seems to have been rejected.
>    I don't know about the connect() failure, but the pile of legal
> junk is pretty much standard for many whois databases.

The connect failure likely came from the whois server you were referred
to.

e.g. for a domain I'm involved with I get:
$ whois --verbose mydomain
Using server whois.crsnic.net.
[..]
[summary details]
Whois Server: whois.tucows.com
[..]
[legal crap here]
[..]
Using server whois.tucows.com.
[..]
[the full details here]
[more legal crap]

So I wouldn't worry much about the connect failure. It just means you
couldn't contact that registrar's whois server at that time.

The whois I'm using (whois in Debian) has a -H that removes legal
disclaimers.

--
----------(   "No problem is too big it can't be run away    )----------
Simon ----(                  from" -- Linus                  )---- Nomis