[Hampshire] Gnome and CPU usage

Author: B STEVENS
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Gnome and CPU usage
Hi, all

I was faffing around with my new Fedora 10 install, I typed "top" and noticed Xorg was running on CPU2 at 100%. A quick search on the interwebs showed a bug had been reported... gnome-screensaver was the culprit. The originator just renamed the binary to solve his problem, I uninstalled it with rpm.

Some time later, I typed "top" again and noticed that gnome-thumbnail had CPU1 running at 100%. On investigation, I found it was comic.ttf file that was creating the problem for gnome-thumbnail (The thumbnail was the clock face that shows 10 past 5).

I used top to kill the process and the thumbnail changes to the letter "a" with double-headed, horizontal and vertical arrows but then the same thing happens with the next .ttf file. I killed the gnome-thumbnail process again and this seems to have solved the problem as closing then re-opening the directory (in file manager) shows the correct thumbnails for font files.

So... if you're running Fedora 10 with Gnome, watch out for those two CPU "killers".

Regards

Bryan