Re: [Hampshire] Apache performance tuning.

Top Page
Author: David Ramsden
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Apache performance tuning.

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56f3e100.hantslug.org.uk.5363': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Jan 8 01:41:11 2009 GMT
gpg: using DSA key B15F69BD3454B217
Graham Bleach wrote:
[snip]

> +1 for Vic's suggestion of more RAM.
>
> You seem to be focussing on apache tuning. How much memory is mysqld
> using and does it increase under load?

This is the first point in my little recommendations document I'm
writing for the club. Looking at the website stats, the usage has grown
month and month and I see this continuing. More hardware needs to be
thrown at the problem.

I did tune some of the mysqld settings a while back but the owner has
replaced my.cnf with the default CentOS configuration file so I'll need
to look at this again.

Yesterday, mysqld was using an average of 70Mb physical RAM. However,
the owner did make some configuration changes yesterday (to Apache, I
think but I need to confirm this) and mysqld memory consumption has shot
up. Currently at 214Mb physical RAM and the server load is low.

Apache was falling over every 5 minutes between 5.25pm and 6.27pm today.
The owner dropped me a quick email saying:
"I've had a quick look and Mysql is using over 200mb of physical ram
after 54hrs of uptime"

I don't currently have root on the server either, so I'm quite limit to
what I can do (for example, I can't see any logs!). However, the owner
doesn't really know me so it's quite nice to even have a shell account
at the moment. Maybe I'll suggest sudo...

Regards,
David.
--
 .''`.     David Ramsden