[Hampshire] Hard disk destruction

Author: Tony Whitmore
To: hampshire
Subject: [Hampshire] Hard disk destruction

We've talked in the past about secure data erasure, using things like DBAN
which use wiping algorithms approved by the US DoD. The BBC news website is
carrying a story today encouraging people to get physical and smash their
drives. Now, whilst I can see that putting a hard disk that has come
straight from a computer on ebay, or one that has been trivially formatted
or had files "erased" is probably a risk, is it really worth getting people
to attack their hard drives with hammers? (Never mind the Health & Safety
implications!)

Tony