Re: [Hampshire] Hard disk destruction

Author: Paul Tansom
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Hard disk destruction
** Mark Johnson <mark@???> [2009-01-08 09:41]:
> On Thursday 08 January 2009 09:17:09 Tony Whitmore wrote:
> Now, whilst I can see that putting a hard disk that has come
> > straight from a computer on ebay, or one that has been trivially formatted
> > or had files "erased" is probably a risk, is it really worth getting people
> > to attack their hard drives with hammers?
>
> I'd say it depends what they're planning on doing with it. I saw a story (also
> I think on the BBC) where they went to Lagos, Nigeria and bought some second
> hand computers, and were able to recover personal information about a guy in
> London and his family. When they went and asked him about it, he'd just thrown
> his computer away. I'd certainly rather suggest to non-techies that they get
> happy with a sledge hammer than trying to explain to them what a secure wiping
> algorithm is and why I recommend they use it, only to be ignored. (Unless, as
> you say, it's going on eBay).

** end quote [Mark Johnson]

I haven't read the story thoroughly, just scanned, but I do have visions
of people (maybe those that have heard the story second hand) smashing
the system unit (and maybe screen), thereby destroying perfectly usable
motherboards, cards, etc., but leaving the HD perfectly readable. Maybe
I've just talked to too many people referring to the beige box (or other
colour with the snazzy modern boxes) and calling it the CPU or Hard
Drive!

Registered in England | Company No: 4905028 | Registered Office: