Re: [Hampshire] banks and home use of card readers

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: rob, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] banks and home use of card readers

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x58591100.hantslug.org.uk.14147': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sat Jan 10 12:25:30 2009 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 10:34:38AM +0000, Rob Smith wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-01-09 at 21:03 +0000, Brad Rogers wrote:
> > Bloody waste of time, IYAM. They are used solely when using the banks'
> > own site, *not* when purchasing goods or services on another site. It
> > won't stop a thief using your card online for buying anything. Like the
> > CCV number, they offer a totally illusory feeling of security.
>
> My bank hasn't gone that route. They "intercept" on-line transactions
> and pop up an extra password request before allowing the transaction.
> Not the answer to all situations, but it's a start.

That sounds like the Verified By Visa programme, which is pretty
much a disaster area. For example, there are reports that some banks
will allow you to change the VbV password on the phone with only a
name and date of birth.

I'm waiting for the credit cards with the nonce-password generators
on them. That one actually looks like it might be a useful security
measure.

Hugo.

   --- "There's a Martian war machine outside -- they want to talk ---
                to you about a cure for the common cold."