Re: [Hampshire] banks and home use of card readers

Author: Lisi
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] banks and home use of card readers
On Friday 09 January 2009 21:03:36 Brad Rogers wrote:
> On Fri, 09 Jan 2009 20:18:24 +0000
> alan c <aeclist@???> wrote:

> > I have heard that some banks are planning to issue, or have issued
> > customers with card readers for home use of chip and pin. Does anyone
> > know if there are any OS issue with any of them?

I have been having to use one for some time now. I have had no non-physical
problems with mine at all. It Just Works.

I couldn't see it properly, but that is another issue. I am running Debian
Lenny.

> They're standalone units, as Hugo said. I have one for one bank acct,
> and my wife has another for her account.
>
> Bloody waste of time, IYAM. They are used solely when using the banks'
> own site, *not* when purchasing goods or services on another site. It
> won't stop a thief using your card online for buying anything. Like the
> CCV number, they offer a totally illusory feeling of security.

I sometimes get asked for mine on third party sites. Though I admit that I
more often get passed through the "verified by Visa" "system".

HTH
Lisi