Re: [Hampshire] TV Tuner

Author: Chris Dennis
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] TV Tuner
Chris. Aubrey-Smith wrote:
> From time to time, I try to enliven a dull evening by making yet
> another attempt to get my Twinhan Alpha 7045A USB TV tuner to work on
> one of my Debian ThinkPads. To the best of my ability, I've followed
> every piece of advice and guidance I can find, but with the results below:
>
> T42:/home/chris# cd /lib/firmware
>
> T42:/lib/firmware# wget
> http://www.linuxtv.org/downloads/firmware/dvb-usb-vp7045-01.fw
>
> --17:54:57-- http://www.linuxtv.org/downloads/firmware/dvb-usb-vp7045-01.fw
>
> => `dvb-usb-vp7045-01.fw.1'
>
> Resolving www.linuxtv.org... 212.227.166.180
>
> Connecting to www.linuxtv.org
> <http://www.linuxtv.org>|212.227.166.180|:80... connected.
>
> HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
>
> Length: 10,752 (10K) [text/plain]
>
> 100%[=================================================================================>]
> 10,752 --.--K/s
>
> 17:54:57 (88.94 KB/s) - `dvb-usb-vp7045-01.fw.1' saved [10752/10752]

Looks like you've done this more than once. Have you double-checked
that the file is there without the '.1' on the end, and with suitable
permissions?

> T42:/home/chris# dmesg | tail
>
> DVB: registering new adapter (Twinhan USB2.0 DVB-T receiver (TwinhanDTV
> Alpha/MagicBox II)).

My DVB-T device (a Hauppauge Nova-T-500 PCI card) requires a 'cold boot'
before it will reload the firmware. And by 'cold boot' I mean shutdown
the box, power it off at the mains, wait 10 minutes, and then restart.
Otherwise the PCI card retains the previous settings. Yes, I know
you're talking about a USB device, but it might be worth trying this if
you're still having problems.

I get these messages in dmesg:

dib0700: loaded with support for 7 different device-types
dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge Nova-T 500 Dual DVB-T' in cold state, will \
     try to load a firmware
firmware: requesting dvb-usb-dib0700-1.10.fw
dvb-usb: downloading firmware from file 'dvb-usb-dib0700-1.10.fw'

I hope that helps.

cheers

Chris
--