Re: [Hampshire] Which filesystem?

Top Page
Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
New-Topics: Re: [Hampshire] Which filesystem / BackInTime backup software.
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Which filesystem?

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56add100.hantslug.org.uk.23758': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Jan 25 14:21:37 2009 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Sunday 25 Jan 2009, Vic wrote:
> > The data I am backing up is in ext3 format, would I be best of using
> > ext2 or ext3 for the external drive? Or any other file system?
>
> Choose ext3 over ext2 for this sort of thing - ext2 is very fragile in
> respect of power loss, random unplugging, etc. ext3 is very much more
> reilient.

Vic is correct ext3 is better than ext2. Basically ext2 and ext3 are the same
base filesystem, but the version 3 has a number of extra features the most
important being it has a journal which means that in the event of major
problems like power failures and such it will recover much faster and
probably with less data loss.

Ext3 is not actually more reliable than ext2 in normal use, the data can
usually still be recovered on an ext2 filesystem that has had a problem, it's
just that ext3 recovery may a few seconds and not involve much manual work,
whereas on a large multi-giga byte disk it make take many minutes or even
hours with ext2 and require some hand intervation.

Pretty much every Linux distro available today uses ext3 as default and there
is normally no reason to use the older ext2 version - though there are still
valid reasons for doing so.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

When a Microsoft product is the lesser of two evils, you know for
sure that there's something fishy going on.
    -- anon