Re: [Hampshire] Steve Gibson (Was: Re: Data Recovery)

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Steve Gibson (Was: Re: Data Recovery)

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x567c5100.hantslug.org.uk.14864': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Jan 27 22:26:22 2009 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 10:14:42PM +0000, Alan Pope wrote:
> 2009/1/27 Steve Kemp <steve@???>:
> > Not only do the drives, in general, not export that level of control
> > such that it may be externally manipulated to do so would require a
> > level of access hard to achieve even going direct. (Given the number
> > of mostly-standard but not-quite drives in existence even if you
> > limit yourself to just IDE/SATA/AHCI/etc.)
> >

> I've listened to Security Now (his podcast) for some time now and he's
> talked about the workings of spinrite a number of times. He writes all
> his apps in x86 assembler

This immediately makes me suspicious. There are very few reasons
for writing a complete application in assembler, and I doubt very much
that spinrite benefits in any manner, shape or form from having been
written like that. There may be parts that *have* to be written in
assembler, but they will be small and few.

    This simply sounds like more snake oil to me: "It must be good!
It's written in assembler!" At best, I'd view it as a stunt, done to
show off rather than for any good engineering reason.

Hugo.

  --- Attempted murder, now honestly, what is that?  Do they give a ---
                  Nobel Prize for attempted chemistry?