Re: [Hampshire] Lenny updates

Top Page
Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Lenny updates

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57e63100.hantslug.org.uk.18368': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Jan 29 20:54:56 2009 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Thursday 29 Jan 2009, B STEVENS wrote:
> hi all
>
> an update for "xserver-xorg-video-cirrus" is available for my laptop but
> i'm confused as the video is nvidia geforce 9300g.
>
> a few questions...
>
> why would that update be available to me?

Probably because when you install xorg it installed all the possible drivers,
not just the one you actually need. Big things like xserver-xorg are often
meta packages of lots of other things - it's easier to install more than not
enough in most cases...

> would it hurt to install it?

Probably not

> how can i stop further updates of this type?

Yes, delete all the xserver-xorg- bits you don't need, then they won't need
upgrading in future. I usually do this, but I have no idea if other people do
it.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

The test of the goodness of a thing is its fitness for use.  If it
fails on this first test, no amount of ornamentation or finish will
make it any better, it will only make it more expensive and foolish.
    -- Frank Pick, lecture to the Design and Industries Assoc, 1916