Re: [Hampshire] Lenny updates

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Lenny updates
On Thu, 29 Jan 2009 20:54:56 +0000
"Dr A. J. Trickett" <adam.trickett@???> wrote:

> > how can i stop further updates of this type?
>
> Yes, delete all the xserver-xorg- bits you don't need, then they
> won't need upgrading in future. I usually do this, but I have no idea
> if other people do it.

this has happened since X.org became more modular so far as I can
remember.

I, personally, leave all the modules in place in case they are ever
needed. I guess that on a laptop the hardware isn't going to change in
its lifetime but on a desktop system pretty well everything could
change.

I am not sure what doing "aptitude purge xserver-xorg-video-?" will
do as I have never even thought of doing it, I don't know any other
safe way of deleting one of these modules.

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop