Re: [Hampshire] Python book

Author: Stephen Nelson-Smith
To: paul, Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Python book
On Wed, Feb 4, 2009 at 1:52 PM, Paul Stimpson <paul@???> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need to nip out today and buy a Python book for work. I was previously a C programmer but I've never used Python before and need to pick it quickly from scratch.
>
> I was thinking about something like one of the Sams 24 Hours books. Is there any book you would recommend or caution against please?

You say you're an experienced programmer, in which case "Core Python
Programming" by Wesley Chun is excellent.

For a from the basics introduction, Alan Gauld's tutorial is unmatched:

I also recommend "How to think like a computer scientist"

http://www.ibiblio.org/obp/thinkCS/python/english2e/html

If you want a beginner level book, have a look at this:

http://www.amazon.com/Python-Programming-Absolute-Beginner-Second/dp/1598631128

I own it, and like it very much.

Other online resources:

Two online tutorials by Magnus Hetland. "Instant python" is inclined
towards programmers. There's also an "Instant Hacking" one.

http://hetland.org/writing/instant-python.html
http://hetland.org/writing/instant-hacking.html

S.
--