Re: [Hampshire] When I'm gone?

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] When I'm gone?
Paul Tansom wrote:
> OK, somewhat prompted by my current state of mind and recent events, but
> a valid question none the less.
>
> For those that have non-technical other halves, relatives or etc. who
> don't know other techies, what, if anything, have you in place for the
> contingency of not being there to support your systems? I'm not thinking
> so much a desktop system, but if you have a server handling mail,
> printing, file sharing, etc. that would likely be over kill or not
> wanted without yourself to support it, do you have details of what to do
> with it and/or an envelope with passwords put to one side?

It's in my will that my computers, books and records will all be built
into a huge pyre, all soaked with petrol and with me on top: never mind
the toxins and the stench, I'm going out in a ball of fire! I asked the
missus if she'd throw herself on too, but she was having none of it...

;-)

Actually, and for reasons unknown, the same thing occurred to me
recently. I think I will make provision for a mate to wipe all the disks
on the sever and my desktop and then they can make their own way with
regard to email and that sort of thing going forward. The kids are
fairly bright and should be able steer my non-technical wife in the
right direction.

Immediate family will get fist choice on all the hifi and techie stuff,
my mates can pick over the music and books, with the remainder going on
ebay.

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa