Re: [Hampshire] using wu-ftp

Top Page
Author: Dr A. J. Trickett
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] using wu-ftp

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x57908100.hantslug.org.uk.7087': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Sun Feb 8 09:36:12 2009 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 019AD0D8166C4BF0
On Sunday 08 Feb 2009, Mike Burrows wrote:
> Hello Folks.
>
> I have installed wu-ftp on a debian etch machine.

Unless you have some preference for wu-ftpd I'd use vsftpd as it has a much
better reputation for security and bugs.

Unless you have some specific reason I'd go even further and not use ftp at
all, instead use SSH - it's more convenient and more secure anyway.

> I can ftp into /home/ftp as anonymous user using a laptop on the same
> network without probs using the internal ip address of the ftp server.
>
> I can't ftp into the same server using its dynamic dns address.
>
> My modem router is forwarding port 21 to the same address that I can
> access via the internal route so to speak.
>
> Any thoughts why access is denied in the second case and not the first
> please?

Things to check:

1) Your ISP isn't blocking in bound FTP, as some do.

2) You are using passive FTP, normal active FTP needs two ports and doesn't
usually work well through firewalls or NAT.

3) You don't have some exclusion/inclusion rule on the wu-ftpd (I don't know
where they are kept).

4) Check the firewall on the PC, make sure FTP is allowed from everywhere.

5) Have a look in the ftpd and firewall logs to see if there are any access
denied entries. You may or may not be able to check your "modems" logs.

Once you have all that checked. Try and nmap your box from outside the network
to see what ports it sees.

--
Adam Trickett
Overton, HANTS, UK

I've found that people who are great at something are
not so much convinced of their own greatness as
mystified at why everyone else seems so incompetent.
    -- Paul Graham, "Great Hackers" 2004