Re: [Hampshire] Acer Aspire One + Huawei E620 3G modem

Author: john lewis
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Acer Aspire One + Huawei E620 3G modem
On Fri, 6 Feb 2009 11:31:15 +0000
"Paul Stimpson" <paul@???> wrote:

> The post does contain the number to dial, the APN settings and the
> credentials which should be applicable whichever software you use to
> connect.

I visited Dorchester yesterday and had another chance to play with
the AA1.

I found eventually that 'Mobile Partner' did get installed but prior to
that had found a site that explained that one reason we were having
problems with the 3G modem is that it is a dual device, part USB
memory stick and part USB modem and that Linux isn't sure how to
deal with these devices.

The article had links to a script that solved this problem by turning
off the memory bit and loading the modem bit.

I also installed gnome-ppp which let me play with connecting the
modem ('Mobile Partner' actually makes gnome-ppp redundant) but couldn't
get a connection. We then realised that son-in-law no 2's 3G phone
wouldn't connect either due to lack of signal :-(

So further experiments will have to wait till son-in-law no 1 goes to
work in Bournemouth on Monday

However the whole problem of getting the 3G modem working with the AA1
may in fact be a sort of 'red herring' as the fact that the device
doesn't have a DVD drive built in seems to be more important than
having a working 3G modem for s-in-l no 1's brother, who the AA1 was
bought for ;-((

He wants to be able to play films on it without the hassle of a
separate optical drive. You can't always win it seems when trying to
convert someone from the dark side!

--
John Lewis
using Debian Sid with windowmaker for a nicer desktop