Re: [Hampshire] configuring mrtg ..

Author: Victor Churchill
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] configuring mrtg ..
2009/2/10 Jon Wilks <jonnyx10e3@???>:
> Keith Edmunds wrote:
>> On Mon, 9 Feb 2009 21:17:00 -0800 (PST), comeatmanish@??? said:
>>
>>> I want to configure MRTG on my server in such way that it will monitor
>>> disk usage& cpu utilization and bandwidth on all servers in the network.
>>
>> Do you want to specifically use MRTG for that? If not, take a look at
>> Munin (example at http://munin.ping.uio.no/).
>>

> Hobbit is another good one. http://hobbitmon.sourceforge.net/

I was going to mention nagios but you have enough other stuff to look
at by the look of it. Munin looks quite comprehensive and specifically
says in its FAQ that it is 'complementary to nagios' in that it is
plug&play . That is quite positive sounding as I found that keeping a
nagios setup up to date became cumbersome to modify as the nodes and
services on a network changed over time.

Interestingly the other system mentioned, Hobbit, is an evolution of
Big Brother which I used briefly before going to nagios. That was nice
and simple but kind of limited in what you could do 'out of the box' ,
and took a lot ofnavigating around its report pages.