Re: [Hampshire] Does anyone "know someone" at Demon?

Author: Jacqui Caren
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Does anyone "know someone" at Demon?
Tim wrote:
> I must say that all this praise for Zen is lost on me, when I had a problem
> (continually dropping out) with Zen the support guy and his supervisor
> refused to deviate from their pre written script. Before they would escalate
> it to BT they wanted me to purchase a new router (Draytek £150 at the time).
> I went to be BT told them there was noise on the line, they came out and
> found the line had been cut.
>
> I phoned Zen and requested a Mac code and told the customer service person
> what I thought of there appalling service, they e-mailed me a reply to my
> complaint which stated that after a review they found their staff had acted
> in accordance to there procedures.

I agree when they are good for known stuff but anything outside of thier
knowledge base is simply a "SEP". Ifyou use hardware other than the "toy"
Drayek they can provide no support whatsoever.

We have two business lines one has never gone down the other is
up and down like a yoyo - identical network nardware and linux OS etc.
We found the fault. one amd64bit box mobo/CPU combo has clock drift and
when the clock is far enough out the PPP link is dropped and unless you
pull the clock back will not re-sync. FWICT The zen side of the PPP link is
*very* strict regarding time. I tried drifting the clock on my BT business
DSL and it synced AOK.

Zen have failed miserably to help - we found the solution only by trial
and error. Zen also failed to listen - they were not interested in even
logging our "solution" :-(

Thankfully we have two lines and can run ntpd internally and have the
gateway referencing a good internal clock. If this were our only line
and machine we would be in serious pain.

We plan another few lines soon and Zen no longer have our confidence.