Re: [Hampshire] [OT] DNS cache on Netgear DG834G

Top Page
Author: Andy Smith
To: hampshire
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] [OT] DNS cache on Netgear DG834G

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x5795e100.hantslug.org.uk.14069': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Thu Feb 12 14:59:03 2009 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 2099B64CBF15490B
Hi Victor,

On Thu, Feb 12, 2009 at 02:06:31PM +0000, Victor Churchill wrote:
> 2009/2/12 Andy Smith <andy@???>
> > You could use a real DNS server (either your own or your ISP's
> > provided ones)...
>
> I've never really quite got "why" one would set up "one's own" DNS -
> unless you run a network which really does a lot of DNS querying (and
> so you save on query times, and you're being sociable) what's the
> advantage?

Whenever you're going to a new hostname, you're going to need to do
a DNS query which will travel at least to the end of your DSL/cable
if you are using your ISP's nameservers. If you had a local
resolver then, once cached, the traffic stays on your LAN. This can
be noticeably faster even for a single machine.

Once you have multiple machines they can share the local cache,
preventing more traffic from going over the comparatively high
latency link.

Furthermore, ISPs have a habit of doing annoying things with their
resolvers such as serving up an ad portal when you do a typo, or
selling their logs to third parties. Using a local resolver
(usually) avoids this. Of course one can (and should, IMHO) avoid
such ISPs anyway, but when on the road with a laptop you often don't
have much choice.

Finally, some people like to do tricks with views etc. which are
only possible when running your own resolver(s).

Pretty much the least palatable option for me is using some mickey
mouse resolver (or DHCP, NTP, firewall, etc.) embedded into a piece
of electronic junk fabricated in the Far East.

Cheers,
Andy

Encrypted mail welcome - keyid 0x604DE5DB

My words are my own and do not represent Jacqui Caren.