Re: [Hampshire] Imap and Kmail

Author: Sean Gibbins
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Imap and Kmail
Tim wrote:
> Hi Sean
>
> Your post pointed the way, I was just using user names rather than the complete
> e-mail address.
>
> Mind you my port number are different I am using 143 for receiving and 587 for
> sending (SMTP).

Hi Tim,

Looks like they are listening on both ports:

sean@bender:~$ telnet auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk 587
Trying 212.227.15.179...
Connected to auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk (mrelayeu7) Welcome to Nemesis ESMTP server

-and-

sean@bender:~$ telnet auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk 25
Trying 212.227.15.179...
Connected to auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 auth.smtp.oneandone.co.uk (mrelayeu4) Welcome to Nemesis ESMTP server

As for user names, its definitely <user>@<hosted_domain> here, but maybe
that is peculiar to my setup or type of account - I assumed it would be
the same across the board. Terrible things assumptions, I thought I was
on safe ground with port 25!

:-)

Sean

--
The computer can't tell you the emotional story. It can give you the exact mathematical design, but what's missing is the eyebrows.
Frank Zappa