Re: [Hampshire] Media players

Top Page
Author: Hugo Mills
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Media players

gpg: failed to create temporary file '/var/lib/lurker/.#lk0x56ee3100.hantslug.org.uk.17902': Permission denied
gpg: Signature made Tue Feb 17 17:16:05 2009 GMT
gpg: using DSA key 20ACB3BE515C238D
On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 05:11:17PM +0000, Sean Gibbins wrote:
> Hugo Mills wrote:
> > PS. Sony. Ewwww.
>
> We are on our third 40GB PS3 - the first one died after 4 months
> (optical drive refusing to read discs), and the replacement has just
> died (miscellaneous lockups that seem to be disc-related).
>
> In fairness to Sony, they have agreed to replace it again, despite the
> unit being 14 months old, but the replacement only comes with a 3 month
> warranty, after which time we are on our own. Or rather my son is.

My main objection to Sony is not the quality of their kit (I've got
a 15-year-old CD player of theirs that's still good), but more to
their utter failure to recognise or implement any standards other than
their own. They've been trying to turn themselves into Apple for some
years now -- if it's not made by Sony, they're going to ignore it and
push their own (undocumented) hardware and software on you instead.

Hugo.

           --- All hope abandon,  Ye who press Enter here. ---