Re: [Hampshire] HDMI output from linux

Author: James Courtier-Dutton
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] HDMI output from linux
2009/2/17 Stephen Rowles <stephen@???>:
> All,
>
> I would like to use HDMI output to get my Linux media centre working on an
> LCD TV. (I don't have the TV yet though!). What I want to do is to do away
> with my expensive and small media centre PC and have a high powered PC
> which can sit in the understairs cupboard, using nice big low noise fans,
> and generally be out of the way.
>
> This means running all the output from the cupboard to the Telly :)
>
> Looking around HDMI would seem to be the best way of doing this, I can
> send stereo and digital audio over HDMI along with the video signal, and
> have it automagically picked up by the TV. The digital audio can then go
> into the amp and be turned into surround sound if required (when playing
> back DVDs). Best of all long HDMI cables are fairly cheap, and it means
> only running 1 cable.
>
> Now this is all well and good in theory, but I cannot find much
> information on how to achieve this, and certainly not in linux. There
> appear to be a few cards out there with HDMI out for video but no way of
> getting the audio into the HDMI signal.
>
> Does anyone know of any video / sound card pairs that fit the bill, and
> most importantly actually work on Linux!
>
> Cheers.

I think the max sensible length of a HDMI cable about 15Meters.
I would still prefer a simple set top box using no HD (netboot or
flash boot), No fans, and simply converts a video stream over IP over
ethernet/wireless into 1080p display. It could also have a remote
control to send remote control messages back to your big server in the
attic.
I would just play pre-recorded stuff.
I could then have other devices on the network that provide video
capture and store it on the server.