Re: [Hampshire] HDMI output from linux

Author: Stephen Rowles
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] HDMI output from linux
> I think the max sensible length of a HDMI cable about 15Meters.
> I would still prefer a simple set top box using no HD (netboot or
> flash boot), No fans, and simply converts a video stream over IP over
> ethernet/wireless into 1080p display. It could also have a remote
> control to send remote control messages back to your big server in the
> attic.
> I would just play pre-recorded stuff.
> I could then have other devices on the network that provide video
> capture and store it on the server.

What you are suggesting is very similar to the backend/frontend concept
that you can do with mythTV. However the main problem is the spec of that
machine and extra cost / power consumption to do it. You've gone from
running 1 PC to running 2 (or at least 2 devices) and decoding and playing
back HD requires quite a bit of CPU power (or as in my other posts in this
thread an nvidia graphics card with the off-load ability).

I have a small house, 15 meters would happily stretch the entire length of
my house twice, so more then enough to get from the cupboard to the TV :).
The HDMI solution looks like just buying 1 cheap graphics card and an
appropriate length HDMI cable (£40 for the gfx card and I can get a 10m
hdmi cable for £25). Part of the attraction of the HDMI solution is the
lack of parts to go wrong and how cheap it is to implement.

It is a good point about the remote receiver, I will also need to ensure
that I can place that somewhere appropriate, although from my tests it
doesn't need to be in the same place as the TV, just somewhere in
approximately the correct direction to pick up the IR signals (I wonder
what the max length of a USB cable is). Failing that I can always get an
RF remote so no line of sight required.