Re: [Hampshire] Cheap and Easy NAS

Author: Rob Malpass
To: Hampshire LUG Discussion List
Subject: Re: [Hampshire] Cheap and Easy NAS

----- Original Message -----
From: "Philip Stubbs" <philip@???>
To: "Hampshire LUG Discussion List" <hampshire@???>
Sent: Wednesday, February 25, 2009 10:07 AM
Subject: [Hampshire] Cheap and Easy NAS

> Hi Everyone,
>
> It is about time that I had a proper back-up solution for my home
> machines. At the moment I just randomly copy stuff between machines
> that I think is important. I have a dual booting laptop
> (Windows+Ubuntu) a Desktop (Ubuntu) and my noddy home server which
> runs Debian.
>
> I could simply plug an external USB drive into the server, and back up
> to that. However, I understand that it would be better to keep it
> separate, and therefore I was wondering if anybody has a suggestion
> for a simple device that I could attach to my network that I can back
> up to.
>
> --
> Philip Stubbs
>
> --
> Please post to: Hampshire@???
> 24/02/2009 13:35

There's a couple of things I've used - not sure if they're still available:

* Bufallo Linkstation - web interface to 250Gb hard drive - works with Win,
Mac and Linux
* Netgear Storage Link aka NSLU2 which is a little gizmo that allows you to
hook up two usb devices and access them as a NAS. Beware the firmware
though - needs updating and can fail to update properly - and needs a
windows machine to do the update.

Cheers
Rob